Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Living downtown.

I have to say first of all that I love this city, especially in the Fall. From the old houses, to the downtown, to the river,to the scenic view from where we live; everything is bursting with color because of the changing leaves. Historic looking houses and buildings go very well with the changes that happen in nature when Fall arrives. I look around, and it is pretty breathtaking. If you get a chance, drive through the neighborhood. The area just south of Chevy in the hole, gives an awesome view of the north side of the river. Hurley, the trees, some large houses, it's a pretty cool view. It leaves me with no doubt that I belong down here and not out in the suburbs. (no offense)

I am also curious to see what it looks like in the Winter. I mean, I know what Flint looks like in the Winter, but as a resident of the downtown area, it feels so different. I wonder if there are sledding spots, or popular areas where kids play in the snow. I look forward to seeing the day to day going ons.

I already know where the areas are that aren't too safe at night. And I know where to get food or other things, but it really has been eye opening to see the downtown area as a resident. This is my city. I find myself taking ownership of it. Whether a wire is hanging from a building where pedestrians walk, or we are clearing overgrowth from the roadside, I feel responsible for it. This sense of ownership is something the city disparately needs, at least where I live. In my neighborhood, the land and its contents are there for the pickin' and can just as easily be discarded when they are no longer of use to someone. This is a value we are trying to counter at PrimeTime (our after school program). Kids need to learn at a young age that they need to leave a place the same as they found it, if not better than they found it. The problem is that we are with them about 15 hours a week, and the rest of the week seems to reinforce exploitation and a lack of respect for property and people.

Fortunately,our kids seem to love being with us, and we should have plenty more opportunities to get them involved in neighborhood cleanups and other projects to help reinforce the value of being good stewards of the land, people, the city, and its contents.

When I think about the task at hand and its enormity, I realize there is absolutely no way we could take this on if we did not move into the neighborhood. Yes we have people coming to our door when we're outside to panhandle, and yes we have drug buys going on across the street, and yes there are loud parties going on late into the night on our block, but I am fine with that. I'll save the peace and quiet for when we're retired (maybe).

As of late, two passages from the bible that really have been integral to our work here. The first comes from Isaiah 61 (and is tattooed down my left arm). It says "The spirit of the sovereign Lord is upon me, and has anointed me to preach the good news to the poor (not just financially poor)" . It later goes on to talk about rebuilding, restoring, and renewing. The second scripture is in John and says "The word became flesh and moved into the neighborhood". I think when you have a passion for urban ministry you first are moved by God's Spirit in the way Isaiah 61 lays it out, then you move into the neighborhood, and then you are continually broken hearted for the poor (Isaiah 61) and are always aware of the needs, and looking for a way to meet them.

It's kind of a funny transformation that happens when you move into the neighborhood. Think of the scene at the end of the first Matrix film, where Neo dies and then comes back and sees the word in binary code instead of how everyone else perceives it. He sees what lies beneath and how everything works and is able to become more effective because of it.

Maybe you have a heart for urban ministry. Maybe you should move into the neighborhood with us. We always need more neighbors.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The views, comments, statements and opinions expressed on this Web site do not necessarily represent the official position of The Salvation Army.
 
Copyright 2009 Flint City Salvos
Convert By NewBloggerTemplates Wordpress by Wpthemesfree